Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kara and Gail

Sometimes.
You get that phone call.  The one that instantaneously leaves your knees feeling weak and you questioning if this could actually be happening.  It hits you out of no where.  And you're left to think.
To question why.  To realize how precious life is.  And how short.  And to throw it all out there with God.  The good, the bad and the ugly...
And somewhere in that whirlwind, you start to see more clearly.  You realize what matters.  You know in your gut that there's hope and that kind of hope can change the world.  You realize that God is there.  Listening.  Aching with you.  Walking every step right with you.  And He isn't just there to comfort.  He's there to work.  And to do crazy amazing things.  And bring lives even closer together.

It's at these times you realize some of the most important things in life.  Creating memories.  Living to the full. 
And pictures, to hold in your hand or hang on your wall.  To remember.  To laugh at that moment again.  To create new memories.  To document that bond.  To look and see that you survived that.  To capture those emotions instead of just holding them back.
When Kara emailed me, tears formed in the corners of my eyes.  She wrote that her mom had just been diagnosed with cancer.  She knew her mom would fight it.  But this made her realize how important it was to have pictures.  Just the two of them.  To remember.  To laugh.  And to see the beauty in even this moment.
After I finished reading, I was full-on wiping away tears.  This.  This is why I wake up and I can't believe this is my "job."  I get to be a part of beautiful moments like this.  Of mothers and daughters who will walk through anything together.  Of composing images that take my breath away because of the beauty of the people in them.  Of being entrusted with such a precious moment.

Kara and Gail, I don't have words.  You two are so precious to me.  Kara, thank you for thinking of this.  And for inviting me to be a part of it all.  You probably know, but I'll say it again, I positively adore you.  And Gail, thank you for sharing this part of your journey with me.  And thank you for sharing your faith in all of this.  I cherish my time with you guys so much.

And one other thank you to the AMAZING Nicole Roby.  Thank you for giving up the day after your birthday celebration to bring your unbelievable make-up artistry to these two.  Sure you had gorgeous ladies to work with - but girl, I nearly fell over when you were finished.  Thank you, Nicole!  (And yes, any future clients out there - you simply must use her.  I'll be talking about her more soon...)

So without further ado, meet Kara and Gail as they got ready with the ever-so-awesome Nicole...
(And if you'd like to see more from their session, just check out their SLIDE-SHOW)




Did I mention that Gail is stunning?  Because it's a true story.



And her daughter, Kara?  Oh.my.goodness.  Hello and welcome to STUNNING.



Kara was so wonderful and agreed to find some old things she had made her mom back in the day.  So great!



I adore these two.





I made them do a staring contest.  Of course, they made it ridiculously cute.







LOVE.


To see more from their session, check out their SLIDE-SHOW.  And yes, the music is courtesy of the amazing Devin Bustin

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Amy, Kara and Gail! What a beautiful display of love between mother and daughter. And what a beautiful display of God's grace. Brought tears to my eyes. :)

    Judy Barg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled here via Jasmine's blog. Love your writing style! And these photos .. well, beautiful! Their faith, their love... so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Judy! This was one of the most incredible shoots I've ever been privileged to be a part of.
    Ale - thank you SO much! Times infinity, in fact.

    ReplyDelete